SABS Forum

Public => Creation => Topic started by: Jengeth on Thu, 2026 - 06 - 25, 08:14 PM

Title: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Thu, 2026 - 06 - 25, 08:14 PM
Let's start things off with a bang, shall we?

I realized there was no pixel map for Extra Mario Bros yet, so I went and made my own. I know how much you guys love your pixel maps.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: RT-55J on Fri, 2026 - 06 - 26, 07:37 AM
Hot dang this map is something extra!

I remember playing this back in the day and being really impressed, though I only ever made it a couple of areas in. The Super Metroid song arrangements were quite nice.

Crumbling into dust as I see this came out in 2005 :#
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Sat, 2026 - 07 - 18, 02:06 PM
Uhh whoops, I did it again. Here's Nuts Station:
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: neen on Sat, 2026 - 07 - 18, 03:19 PM
this map is nuts
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Wed, 2026 - 08 - 12, 11:51 AM
One thing I like about making maps like this is that I get to figure out the superstructures and start assembling screens the way NEStroid does it.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: kkairos on Wed, 2026 - 08 - 12, 07:20 PM
this is horrifying and kinda awesome
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: RT-55J on Wed, 2026 - 08 - 12, 07:37 PM
The crucial thing to remember about Extra Mario Bros is that, since it's a Mario 1 hack, you can only scroll to the right (though there are plenty of pipes to take you backwards).

I don't believe I've ever seen another metroidvania in existence with this sort of design restriction.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Thu, 2026 - 08 - 13, 09:02 AM
And that's why I wanted to map it out.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Thu, 2026 - 08 - 20, 09:20 PM
The best part about making a map of Metroid Genocide is realizing that there is exactly 1 room that no playthroughs seem to enter in Ridley's Hideout, other than 1 guy who promptly exits the room without exploring it fully. Luckily I can read hex.

Edit: mmmnope. There is exactly one instance of room ID 04. Looks like I'm gonna have to play the game.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Fri, 2026 - 08 - 21, 10:20 PM
Instead of finishing the map, I dicked around in the original Metroid. 100% item completion, about 3:30:00, and only 1 grinding session at the very end because I fucked up my first Mother Brain attempt.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Sat, 2026 - 08 - 22, 01:43 PM
Anyway, here's Metroid Genocide.

I attempted to beat it, but Mother Brain's room can go climb a wall of dicks.

Ridley's room sucks too. 4/5 would play again. 100% item completion, gave up at roughly 4:10:00.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Mon, 2026 - 08 - 24, 02:53 PM
THERE WERE MISSILES IN HERE!? Great, now I gotta update the map.

EDIT 2: THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SAMUS CLONE!? Great, now I gotta update the map x2.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: RT-55J on Mon, 2026 - 08 - 24, 03:43 PM
classic cartography error

I've had a fair few maps where I've found out that I've forgotten an item.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: RT-55J on Mon, 2026 - 08 - 24, 03:45 PM
btw do you plan on uploading these to a site of your own? or would you like me hosting them on this site? or do you enjoy them free-floating on these here forums?
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Mon, 2026 - 08 - 24, 03:52 PM
Eventually I'm gonna make a site for them, but I am le too lazy at the moment to do it. For now it's fun just to keep them in here.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Mon, 2026 - 08 - 24, 04:07 PM
Okay, there we go.

I also shifted the hall of madness to more accurately reflect the true map.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: neen on Wed, 2026 - 09 - 02, 09:29 AM
now do aeint
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: RT-55J on Wed, 2026 - 09 - 02, 10:54 AM
say it aeint so
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Mon, 2026 - 09 - 07, 08:31 PM
Oh boy, we got ourselves another map!

I wonder what it's for?

... oh.

oh no.
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: RT-55J on Mon, 2026 - 09 - 07, 11:10 PM
aw yeah that's the nasty stuff :hey:
Title: Re: Extra Mario Bros Pixel Map
Post by: Jengeth on Tue, 2026 - 09 - 08, 04:06 AM
One other special thing to mention: that blue region above the Morph Bombs? That's a one-way passage. Going backwards requires bomb jumping up into that one block passage towards the top of that screen, or resetting.